On the Clock (Titus 2:9-10) – While we are on the clock vocationally, we are also on the clock missionally. Even if your job isn’t in the ministry, you are in the ministry.
- The concept of slavery in biblical times is extremely different than slavery in modern times.
- Old Testament teaching regarding the positive treatment of slaves was countercultural at the time.
- During the time of the New Testament, people were not bondservants due to ethnicity, literacy, or nationality.
- From every type of socioeconomic class, people would volunteer to be a bondservant due to economic reasons.
- While varying in degrees of comfort, many people enjoyed a beneficial situation due to slavery.
- In the early church, bondservants were seen as equal to the financially free members.
- The concept of slavery in biblical times is extremely different than vocations in modern times.
- While bondservants were not treated as severely then as in recent historical contexts, they were still possessions of their masters.
- While your work situation may not be ideal, it is disrespectful to equate it with what others have experienced through slavery.
- God called bondservants to suffer well in order to be missional even in their slavery.
- By observing the extreme obedience expected of Christian bondservants, we should have no trouble displaying extreme obedience as Christian employees.
Expected Obedience for Bondservants
- Submissive to their own masters in everything – To be free in Christ does not give a free pass for rebellion against God-given human authorities.
- Well-pleasing – A Christian should attempt to be the most pleasing worker in order to gain a platform with the boss.
- Not argumentative – Arguing with your authority minimizes your opportunity to speak up when it counts.
- Not pilfering, but showing all good faith – A Christian should live with moral integrity so that he or she can be trusted with spiritual opportunities.
- So that in everything they may adorn the doctrine of God our Savior – The content of the message is validated by the character of the messenger.
- Another’s conversion must be deemed more important than my comfort.
- What will I endure temporarily so that another doesn’t have to endure eternally?
- While we are on the clock vocationally, we are also on the clock missionally.
- Even if your job isn’t in the ministry, you are in the ministry.