Dear Rocky Creek Family,
“Only fear the LORD and serve Him faithfully with all your heart. For consider what great things He has done for you” (1 Sam. 12:24). We serve a great God. He excels in nothing less than doing great things.
I now consider that one of the great things He has done for me is allowing me the privilege to pastor you. After the months of discerning God’s will with the search team, we were blessed to meet your incredible church staff. You received a packet of information regarding our family and did your homework with diligence. On Saturday, our family was able to meet the church family at the meet-and-greet. Finally, Sunday was such a special time as we worshiped together and heard God’s Word loud and clear that God doesn’t need us, but He wants us for such a time as this (Est. 4:14).
By God’s grace, he brought our family together with yours. This church body asked me to step into the role of Senior Pastor at Rocky Creek, and I am humbled by the task. Amanda, Obadiah, Eli, Gloria, and I are so expectant of what God is going to do through the people of Rocky Creek. We are eager to partner with you as we make disciples who love, grow, and serve through intentional relationships.
For those who were involved this weekend, thank you for such an overwhelmingly gracious welcome. For those who were unable to make it, we look forward to getting to know you. You might be receiving this letter and haven’t been able to gather with this church family recently and wondering if you should step back in. Regardless of what the recent months have looked like for you, I want to encourage you to join us in the months ahead. I believe that some great things are ahead. As I am transitioning in the next two weeks, here’s what I am eager to begin:
- Shepherding the Flock – To shepherd the flock well, I first need to get to know the sheep (1 Pet. 5:2). In the coming weeks, I want to get to know you (even though there are a lot of you)! More than just learning names, I want to know your stories of what God is doing in your lives.
- Preaching the Word – I am excited to begin preaching through the Book of Jonah on Feb. 12 and reflect on the God of second chances. I pray it will cause each of us to consider what God may be calling us to do with our lives.
- Focusing on Prayer – On Sunday evenings beginning Feb. 26, I will teach through The Battle Plan for Prayer and help you formulate a prayer strategy. From this discipleship course and some time in our worship gatherings, I am hoping that our church family draws closer to God in prayer and seeks His direction as we go forward.
- Clearing the Path – I want to remove as many obstacles as we can for those who need to behold the LORD (Isa. 62:10). People in Greenville need the gospel, and so I want to prepare the path for those we will come into contact with as the church is gathered and scattered.
- Preparing the Disciple-Makers – Jesus’ call to make disciples hasn’t changed (Matt. 28:19), and I look forward to developing you into more than just disciples but disciple-makers. What could happen if each of us began to make disciples of those around us?
I am unashamedly expectant. Jesus promised to build His Church (Matt. 16:18), and I want to join Him at work while He does it! Won’t you join Him with me?