We had an incredible time of ministry in prison on Sunday. For those interested in serving more, we want to remind you of the training the chaplain shared. If you can’t come this week, there will be another time, but here is the information you need to know.
Mentoring Ministry at Perry
If you are interested in the Mentoring Ministry at Perry and still have not been able to attend a training session for this….. THIS IS YOUR CHANCE TO GET IN ON IT!!!
We have been approached by Metanoia Prison Ministry out of Chattanooga, Tennessee. They have brought their one-on-one mentoring program here at Perry.
We currently have about inmates who have a mentor that they are meeting with twice a month! It has been going great and has already caused a change in the hearts and attitudes of the men in this program.
Metanoia is a Christian ministry that plans to assign one mentor for each inmate here at Perry. Each inmate will be paired with a man who is similar in interests and hobbies. You will have an opportunity to meet with this inmate twice a month for about 60-90 minutes. Also, if the inmate experiences any significant life experiences, I will call you and invite you to be here and be a part of it.
We will have an informational meeting and orientation for this new and exciting opportunity coming up very soon. See below for more information:
The upcoming training information is below:
- WHEN: Saturday, June 30, 2018 @ 08:30 AM – 11:30 AM
- WHERE TO MEET: First Baptist Church of Simpsonville. ADDRESS: 3 Hedge St, Simpsonville, SC 29681. PHONE: 864) 967-8591. The Senior Pastor is Rev. Wayne Bray. PLEASE DO NOT COME TO THE PRISON. Please meet up at the church.
- WHO: Any approved or new volunteers will be accepted. This is for MALES ONLY (Sorry ladies). Just in case you did not already know, you must be re-certified every three years. If you have any questions or concerns about that, feel free to respond to this email.
- PLEASE BRING WITH YOU: TWO CLEAN COLOR COPIES of your driver’s license if you need to be oriented or recertified. Refreshments will be provided.
- WHAT TO EXPECT: This will be an informational meeting to describe the parameters and expectations of the mentoring program. This is a new type of ministry at SCDC which has never been done at any prison in SC. I will try to get through the orientation as quickly as possible but there are some things that I am required to cover by SCDC Policy. Expect to be there about two to three hours.
- THE PAPERWORK: THIS IS IMPORTANT! IF YOU ARE ALREADY ANY APPROVED VOLUNTEER, YOU DO NOT NEED TO FILL OUT THIS APPLICATION. I have attached a copy of the new application. This is the only application I can accept. You can make as many copies as you need. If you do not have access to printer/copier then don’t worry about it. I will bring several blank copies with me the morning of the training. We will fill them out together to ensure accuracy and to answer any questions or concerns that you may have.
- All blanks must have information – there are signature blocks on both the 2nd and 3rd pages.
- Must have emergency contact info.
- All arrests/convictions must be listed including DUI’s/DWI’s. We check “forever” so if you cannot remember you can go to www.catch.sled.gov and obtain your record for a small fee. An applicant will be disapproved for an incomplete record. We do not care what you’ve done (with some exceptions), we do care if you’re truthful. We cannot allow anyone with a sexually related arrest/charge to enter the institution under PREA guidelines established on a federal level.
- LUNCH / DINNER: I believe that snacks will be provided but feel free to bring some snacks if you would like.
- QUESTIONS / CONCERNS?? Please respond to this email with your questions or concerns. Please make sure to click “REPLY ALL” instead of just “REPLY” so that everyone can learn from the questions.
Peace and Grace to you,
Chaplain Larry E. Epps
Perry Correctional Institution
430 Oaklawn Rd.
Pelzer, SC 29669