What happens when those who are leading in worship actually lead others astray? If the religious leaders are careless, the followers will rarely surpass their example.
2 “And now, O priests, this command is for you. 2 If you will not listen, if you will not take it to heart to give honor to my name, says the Lord of hosts, then I will send the curse upon you and I will curse your blessings. Indeed, I have already cursed them, because you do not lay it to heart. 3 Behold, I will rebuke your offspring, and spread dung on your faces, the dung of your offerings, and you shall be taken away with it. 4 So shall you know that I have sent this command to you, that my covenant with Levi may stand, says the Lord of hosts. 5 My covenant with him was one of life and peace, and I gave them to him. It was a covenant of fear, and he feared me. He stood in awe of my name. 6 True instruction was in his mouth, and no wrong was found on his lips. He walked with me in peace and uprightness, and he turned many from iniquity. 7 For the lips of a priest should guard knowledge, and people should seek instruction from his mouth, for he is the messenger of the Lord of hosts. 8 But you have turned aside from the way. You have caused many to stumble by your instruction. You have corrupted the covenant of Levi, says the Lord of hosts, 9 and so I make you despised and abased before all the people, inasmuch as you do not keep my ways but show partiality in your instruction.”
The Priests’ Failure
- If you are not listening to God, you cannot faithfully represent him.
- The aim of the spiritual leader is not to secure an easy, cozy, entertainment-driven lifestyle that the world demands we have.
- “Going through the motions” is death to the worship of God’s people.
- Ministry leadership among God’s people is so important, that it is the means by which God protects and shepherds his people.
- God will judge spiritual leaders more harshly because of their responsibility.
- God feeds his sheep with his Word, not with the opinions of his leaders.
- God expects true teaching and godly character in the life of pastors and spiritual leaders.
- Pray for and encourage your leaders.
- Hold your leaders to a high standard.
- Look to Jesus, our true and perfect Priest.
- In Jesus, we have a priest who does listen.
- We have a priest who is holy.
- We have a priest who has not turned aside.
- We have a priest who has not broken the covenant, but who has fulfilled it all and represents us.