When David experienced the discipline of God due to his sin, God graciously restored his life. Even through these times, God showed that his justified discipline in our lives is always good and gracious.
I will extol you, O Lord, for you have drawn me up
and have not let my foes rejoice over me.
2 O Lord my God, I cried to you for help,
and you have healed me.
3 O Lord, you have brought up my soul from Sheol;
you restored me to life from among those who go down to the pit.
4 Sing praises to the Lord, O you
and give thanks to his holy name.
5 For his anger is but for a moment,
and his favor is for a lifetime.
Weeping may tarry for the night,
but joy comes with the morning.
6 As for me, I said in my prosperity
“I shall never be moved.”
7 By your favor, O Lord,
you made my mountain stand strong;
you hid your face;
I was dismayed.
8 To you, O Lord, I cry,
and to the Lord I plead for mercy:
9 “What profit is there in my death,
if I go down to the pit?
Will the dust praise you?
Will it tell of your faithfulness?
10 Hear, O Lord, and be merciful to me!
O Lord, be my helper!”
11 You have turned for me my mourning into dancing;
you have loosed my sackcloth
and clothed me with gladness,
12 that my glory may sing your praise and not be silent.
O Lord my God, I will give thanks to you forever!
The Purpose of Praise (Ps. 30:1-5)
- We should lift God up in praise because He has lifted us up from danger.
- The longest experience of suffering is only momentary in light of eternity.
- We are not alone in receiving the blessings of God, so we should not be alone in the praise of God.
The Object of Praise (Ps. 30:6-7)
- The focus of our praise is often misguided onto ourselves rather than Christ.
- God will sometimes hide His face for our good.
The Act of Praise (Ps. 30:8-12)
- The proper response to God’s mercy is to tell of him.
- The ultimate end of God’s mercies is our praise to Him.
- Great mercies deserve endless remembrance.
We all have a reason to praise God. Take time to tell others around you about how He has shown himself holy and worthy in your life.