While God’s transcendence is amazing, His immanence is astonishing. The most surprising thing about our exalted God is how close He comes to ones like us.
- The transcendence of God means that He greatly surpasses our human worth and experience.
- The immanence of God means that he is intimately close to us.
113 Praise the Lord!
Praise, O servants of the Lord,
praise the name of the Lord!
2 Blessed be the name of the Lord
from this time forth and forevermore!
3 From the rising of the sun to its setting,
the name of the Lord is to be praised!
4 The Lord is high above all nations,
and his glory above the heavens!
5 Who is like the Lord our God,
who is seated on high,
6 who looks far down
on the heavens and the earth?
7 He raises the poor from the dust
and lifts the needy from the ash heap,
8 to make them sit with princes,
with the princes of his people.
9 He gives the barren woman a home,
making her the joyous mother of children.
Praise the Lord!
He Deserves Our Worship (God Is Transcendent) [Ps. 113:1-3]
- God doesn’t command us to worship because something is lacking in Him, but because something is lacking in us.
- To give God glory is for your soul’s good.
- There’s not a single moment of the day in which God does not deserve our worship.
We Don’t Deserve His Attention (God Is Immanent) [Ps. 113:4-9]
- God’s authority is not confined by geographical lines or religious affiliations.
- God must humble Himself to behold that which causes me to stand in awe.
- God resides in the place where I need Him the most.
- The most important Being in the universe holds the most important things in your life as important to Him.
Next Step: What burden do you need to hand off to the One nearest to you right now?